Diving into Pingree’s DECA Business Club

Pingree+DECA+at+the+2019+District+Competition+held+at+Merrimack+College.+

Pingree DECA at the 2019 District Competition held at Merrimack College.

Are you interested in potentially having a career in business? Is Shark Tank one of your favorite TV shows? Do you enjoy thinking on your feet? Then DECA is the club for you. 

Pingree’s DECA business club is an “ambitious, creative, and fun” group, says Pingree DECA advisor Mr. Ogden. Currently there are about 20 students, but DECA is always seeking new members who are excited to compete in DECA conferences throughout the year.

What is a DECA conference?
A DECA conference brings together schools at its three annual competitions: districts, states, and nationals. Students can compete in events such as individual or team decision making and virtual hotel or restaurant simulation challenges. Due to COVID-19, DECA has had to move its conferences online, but the basic structures and competitions will remain the same. 

How can I compete? 

Pingree students typically compete in the individual or team decision-making challenges. Students choose from over 50 categories in which they would like to compete. Options include marketing, entrepreneurship, finance, and more. Then students take a 100-question, multiple-choice exam that is specific to their chosen category. This exam score accounts for 50% of your overall score at the DECA conference. The other half of the score is the students’ role-play. Students receive a real-life scenario and then have to assume the various roles of an entrepreneur, CEO, CFO, etc., with specific questions to answer. They are given 10 minutes to prepare and another 10 minutes to present in front of a DECA judge. 

During competition time, Mr. Ogden witnesses all of the hard work and preparation pay off. In fact, his favorite part of advising DECA is seeing each member “put their whole self” into the DECA competition. He also adds that students always “learn what they can improve on for next time.” 

How will DECA conferences look with COVID-19? 

The district conference, which is typically held at Merrimack College, will instead be virtual this winter. Pingree DECA is still waiting to hear about the status of the Massachusetts DECA and USA DECA conferences.

Pingree students will take their 100-question exam online and upload videos of their role plays. Students with high scores will receive recognition and punch their ticket to compete in the Massachusetts state conference. 

What happens during DECA meetings? 

At DECA meetings, students review general announcements and discuss how to best prepare for upcoming competitions. Typically, students recommend quizlets when studying for the multiple-choice exams. Studying terms with a partner has also been proven helpful. To prepare for the role-play, students use resources from the DECA website to discuss rubrics and strategies. Occasionally at meetings, a student in the upper classes will present an example role-play in front of the group, and the group will offer recommendations and feedback about how the student might improve. 

This year, the DECA leaders are planning to watch programs such as Shark Tank and Elevator Pitch during Zoom meetings. Both shows are focused on entrepreneurs pitching their businesses in front of investors. We plan to hold discussions on the analysis of these pitches and products and determine successful strategies that will help us prepare for our competitions. 

What skills will I build in Pingree DECA? 

According to Mr. Ogden, “DECA is a great opportunity to build upon the 21st-century skills you have already been practicing while at Pingree. These include critical thinking and problem solving, clear written and verbal communication, collaboration, and creativity. DECA’s skills align well within our school’s pillars: Communicate, Navigate, Collaborate, Participate, and Relate.” These 21st-century skills won’t just help you during your time at Pingree; these are essential skills that you will undoubtedly need throughout the rest of your life. 

Interested in Pingree DECA? Contact Kyle Collins ([email protected]), Carter Segal ([email protected]), Dario Pertillo ([email protected]), Ashwin Ramanathan ([email protected]), or Jackie Elward ([email protected]).