Farewell to Ms. Foye

Pingree preaches the importance of community, and no one is a better example of this idea than Ms. Foye. Teacher, advisor, mom, and college counselor, Ann Foye has been a beloved member of the Pingree community for 16 years now. As many of the dedicated faculty and staff members show, Pingree is known for fostering a community where students want to return after graduating, where teachers enjoy helping their students, and where life-long friendships and relationships are made.

Ms. Foye, who is currently a U.S. History teacher and college-counselor, has called Pingree home for the past 16 years. She got her master’s degree at Brown University and taught at several prep schools, including BB&N, prior to Pingree. She has had many different jobs while at Pingree, depending on her at-home life at the time. 

“I have been grateful,” she says of her journey at Pingree. “At the different parts of my life when I needed to be part-time because I was more of an at-home mom, the school allowed me to engage in multicultural education work at the same time, and they allowed me to grow as a college counselor, which has been fantastic. I appreciate all of the opportunities that, at the right time in my life, Pingree has been very good about supporting — and [generally] supporting me.”

Ms. Foye’s daughter, Megan, is a Pingree alumna who graduated several years ago while Ms. Foye was teaching here. In this way, Ms. Foye has gained another perspective on how Pingree can impact a student in a very positive way when reflecting on her daughter’s time here. “She bonded with incredible athletes, but she also really got to dig into academics, and she also really got to dig into the arts,” Ms. Foye explains. ”Pingree developed her as a student, as an athlete, as a community member. I saw first-hand what the teachers, and the administration do.” After going to Amherst College and majoring in math, her daughter is going to teach at an independent high school now.

Having worked at other prep schools, Ms. Foye is able to really see what Pingree does best. “I think it can sound generic that we really allow students to really engage in all three of those parts of themselves; their artistry, their athletics, and their academics, but I do feel that Pingree has always intentionally supported all three of those. I remember when the school redid the athletic center, they made sure the same year they redid the arts center, and a lot of schools wouldn’t do that. Because of the art requirement for freshmen, all 9th graders have that art exposure, which is wonderful. Having seen that with my daughter, I do think it is something that the school really does well.” She feels as though Pingree is thorough with its work in all three categories; arts, academics, and athletics, and the school stays true to the concept of being invested in all three categories.

When asked what she will miss the most about Pingree, she immediately said, “the people.” She points out the history department being “a delightful place to catch-up and sit down and get ideas and feel supported. When you have a bad class, they sort of “put it in perspective.” In addition, she mentions her co-members of the college office, saying, “Mr. Soodik and Ms. Farley just taught me so much. I think adults feel free to show when they need help here, they can reach out– and as a teacher I need to be at a place like that; a place that has humor, so I think that this kind of community is wonderful.”

When Ms. Foye leaves Pingree, she is moving to Rhode Island with her husband, living where she has always gone on summer vacations as a kid. It has been a long-time dream to move to Rhode Island, but she says the pandemic accelerated their decision-making process. She will be carrying on her career as a college counselor at the Wheeler School, known as “Wheeler Day” at Pingree. 

When asked if she will keep in touch with Pingree, Ms. Foye’s immediate response was, “Oh, of course! This is my life, 16 years. How much they informed my daughter, absolutely yes.” I am biased as an advisee of Ms. Foye, but she will be greatly missed going forward at Pingree and will forever be a member of the community. She has played a crucial part in the lives of many students’ and faculty members here, including mine. Her caring, selfless and humorous energy will be greatly missed on a daily basis on campus, but she will only be a short two-hour drive, or Zoom call away.