Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Pingree’s “Hardest” Subject 

At Pingree, the question “What subject gives you the most homework?” often comes up, especially during the orientation period for freshman and/or new students preparing for school. To answer this question, I surveyed 60 students from each grade to determine which subject they think gives the most homework. 

The top subject was history, with ⅓ of the surveyed students reporting that history gave the most homework. This was a trend spread across all the grades (from freshman to senior), demonstrating that it doesn’t just depend on the grade. However, the other subjects did have some trends based on grade level. 

Out of the 60 students surveyed, 10 students answered math. Nine out of these ten students were seniors, and all took statistics. It is safe to assume that senior students will receive more homework on average than students in other grade levels. 

There was a similar situation with language. Among the students that answered  language, eight of them were freshmen, and the two other students were sophomores. Based on the collected data, it is more likely that younger students are receiving more homework in their language classes. 

For science and english, there was a pretty even spread throughout the grades. There was a small trend with four juniors answering English to be their biggest homework load, but was otherwise balanced. 

So, in terms of the “worst” subject – or in other words, the heaviest workload – history came out on top, trending for all of the four grade levels. Younger students can expect to receive more homework for language, and older students can expect to receive more homework in math, especially during senior year.