Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

John Young: Breaking Barriers and Records

Pingree’s own John Young etched his name in the record books this past fall, becoming the shortest person to run an ultra marathon. In a remarkable feat of dedication, and as a result of his hard work, Mr. Young ran 31 miles in a span of 12 and half hours from morning until after sunset.

Mr. Young’s training started in late summer of 2023. He began running 4 times a week and biking 2 times a week. His training is varied because, he says, “anytime you’re on your feet is considered training for an ultra marathon.” Mr. Young also works at Fenway park as aa greeter for games. Consistently walking up and down stairs and standing for hours all contribute to his training.

One of the Pingree trainers, Jen Brooks, is one person that had a major impact on Mr. Young’s world record attempt. Jen is also an avid endurance athlete, running many ultramarathons and recently competed in a 100-mile race in Leadville, Colorado. Jens expertise on the subject helped Mr. Young’s success in completing this record. According to Mr. Young, Jen had important advice on nutrition, clothing, training, and general tips and tricks for the run. 

Mr. Young credits his love for running to the support from the Pingree community. He stated, “I want to thank Pingree school because I never started running until I started working here. And I don’t think I would have run as far or as long as I have been if I wasn’t part of this community.”

The race itself was a 7 and half mile trail back and forth. Anyone could run as far or as long as they wanted all in 30 hours.  Along the way there, at both ends and in the middle of the track,  were aid stations  for water and food. He ran from 9 in the morning to 10:30 that night with a total of 31 miles or 50 kilometers, an ultra marathon. 

Although he set the record, Mr. Young believes that if the record wasn’t on the table, he would have kept running. He said that he wants to run a total of 45 miles next time, not to break a record but just to push himself physically and mentally. 

As a final remark, Mr. Young wanted to give a special thanks to  Allyson Larsen and others who supported him, 

“You asked me what the hardest part of completing the record was and at first I said ‘the running at night time,’” Mr. Young says. “But truthfully, it was collecting all of the evidence and witness statements. I want to especially thank Allyson Larsen as she, along with six other faculty members, needed to accurately measure my height, NINE TIMES in one 12 hour period.”  

Mr. Young’s story is truly an inspiration and a testament to what hard work, dedication, and support from others can do for someone. The Pingree community could not be more proud of his accomplishments. Mr. Young’s most recent endeavor was the Boston Marathon on April 15th. Mr. Young has already registered for Ghost train for this coming October and is hoping to run 45 miles. 

We can’t wait to see what he can do next!

Be The Hammer.