Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Next Level Highlanders: Hudson Weidman

Welcome to Next-Level Highlanders. These profiles will cover many Pingree School seniors who are committed to playing a variety of sports in college. The series was created to give the Pingree and extended communities a glimpse into the college recruiting process and how these Highlanders have reached the Next Level of competitive athletics. 

In fourth grade, Hudson Weidman donned his pads for the first time, marking the beginning of a life-long journey. His early memories are filled with the excitement of Lynnfield HS football games, where his father served as the coach until Hudson was in eighth grade. He took on the role of a quarterback in his first year, a position he didn’t reclaim until his freshman year at Pingree. Hudson’s leadership skills have blossomed during his time under center. Reflecting on his role, Weidman shares, “Being a quarterback, you are not just a player, but a natural team leader. You steer the offense, make crucial calls, and identify the need for adjustments…everyone looks to you to make the plays.” He has honed his mental resilience in high-pressure situations, disregarding personal nerves and motivating his teammates to deliver their best performances.

Academically, Weidman credits Pingree’s educational structure for preparing him for a liberal arts education. The small, intimate learning environment at Pingree has empowered Weidman to seek assistance when needed, a privilege that many liberal arts students may not have experienced in high school. Athletically, Pingree provided Weidman with a platform to explore and maximize his potential in three sports across the seasons. While many prep schools urged him to focus solely on football, Pingree encouraged him to pursue his passions, resulting in his captaincy for Varsity basketball and baseball, in addition to his esteemed football career. 

Outside of Pingree, Weidman frequently attended the Michael McCarthy Quarterback Academy, also known as M2. At these clinics, Weidman worked out with many high-level players in the New England area, whether they were in high school, college, or professional. Being around many successful players inspired Weidman to reach their skill level. One of these players was former Patriots QB Brian Hoyer, whom Weidman frequently admired during these sessions.

After a triumphant sophomore campaign under center, Weidman was convinced of his future in college football. However, a knee injury abruptly ended his season, forcing him to step away from athletics for the remainder of the year. He reflects, “So from that point on, it was kind of, um. It was all football from there.” This setback only fueled his determination to bounce back stronger, a testament to his unwavering commitment to the sport. 

From then on, Weidman showcased his talents at various camps around the country, a process that differs from most college-aspiring athletes. Weidman would attend multi-college camps, spark interest, and then have to travel to the respective camp of the interested school. This “two-step” process as Weidman describes landed him on many campuses nationwide. 

Weidman thoroughly enjoyed his visits, citing them as his favorite part of the process. His favorite visit was to Raleigh, NC, at NC State University. He adored the facilities and the fact that everything was much grander than he’d ever seen in the Northeast. From equipment, the stadium, and even the quality of playing surfaces, Weidman was thrilled with the opportunity although it wasn’t the correct academic fit.

Why Tufts? Weidman was sold on Tufts because of its urban location, rigorous academics, and a solid football program. He knew that an urban location was the right fit, especially considering his deep interest in New York City’s Columbia University. Weidman is pleased to know that he will be attending a prestigious school in Tufts and competing in a competitive football environment.

In talks of his future, Weidman will remain focused on his goal of professional football, especially if he is granted an extra year of eligibility to take up at the division-one level. He is confident in his ability to compete at the highest level and is assured of the possibility of considering the transfer portal. Alongside his dedication to football, Weidman is confident that his Tufts education will guide him through life, even if it is away from the field.