Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

What Seniors Will Miss the Most

Friends, Advisory, Sports, Extracurriculars, and more!

As the senior class nears the end of their Pingree journey, we begin to reflect on our experiences so far. There is a sense of mixed emotions throughout the class. Some people are happy and excited to move on to the next chapter of their lives, while many others are sad to leave behind the people and memories that Pingree has given them over the years.   

I asked seniors the following two questions: “What aspects of Pingree will you miss most next year?” and “Can you give me a specific example of a time or a person that was special?” 

The overwhelming response from my peers was that they will miss their friends most of all. If you ask anyone in the senior class what they’ll miss the most about Pingree next year, 9 out of 10 they will say the same thing: their friends. Whether it was teaming up for projects, cracking jokes in the commons, or having someone to vent to after a tough test, our friendships are the secret sauce that makes Pingree so special.  Our friends have been there for the highs and lows, and everywhere in between.  I speak for the entire senior class when I say this: our friends have hands down made high school unforgettable. It’s safe to say that we will all have a friend-shaped hole in our hearts next year.  

Pingree has given us some very meaningful moments, memories, and connections throughout the past four years. Our advisors and advisory groups are near the top of that list. Senior Lucia LaFauci says, “I’ll truly miss our advisory sessions with Ms. McCoy. Our group has such a wonderful dynamic, and Ms. McCoy’s guidance was incredibly helpful. She always knew how to make me feel supported. I will cherish the memories of our advisory time together, and I will miss this group so much next year.” 

The Local Lab trips and immersive experiences that various groups of Pingree students take every year are definitely a life-changing experience, says Abby Torres.  Torres traveled to the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota.  She described this as a once-in-a-lifetime experience. This trip showed Abby new communities, and she got to learn about new places, and meet new people. Most of all, Abby learned things about herself; she learned that even though she will be leaving her home, family, and friends to go to college next year, she will be okay.  

Ani Lukasiewicz, who also traveled to Rosebud, recalls her experience in the Sweat Lodge. She was really nervous to do it, since it is a physically taxing experience.  She was scared and not sure if she would be physically able to handle it. There were many calming scents in the lodge, and the Medicine Men were singing ancient tribal songs. She recalls a specific quote, “It is only as hot as you want it to be,” and that changed her perspective on the entire experience. She could either sit there and be hot and uncomfortable, or she could take this advice, and change her mind and start thinking about other things.  

With this switch of perspective she was able to fully immerse herself in the Lakota culture and learn about the people around her. Instead of worrying about herself, she was able to think, “I can do this,” She just needed to think about everything else and remind herself how lucky she was to be there. It made Ani realize that in challenging situations, it is more rewarding to direct her attention on the benefits of the outcome rather than her concerns about her personal abilities.  

For almost every Pingree student, extracurricular activities have been a cornerstone of their high school experience, whether it be on the field, stage, on the pool, or in a rowing shell, extracurricular activities have helped shape who we are.  Senior Allison Durand has truly found her place as a part of the Pingree theater department. For Allison the theater community as a whole has made her experience so special, and she truly appreciates all of the meaningful connections she has made along the way.  

I know that I will miss the teams I have been on throughout my years at Pingree, especially the Pingree swim team. I can confidently say that it is my favorite team of all the teams I have ever been on. I have made so many lifelong friendships, and already I have so many meaningful memories. I truly will miss the fun and environment of the team and everyone on it.  

As the final days of our Pingree journey approach, there is a whirlwind of emotions from the seniors – excitement for the adventures and challenges that lie ahead, and nostalgia for the moments we will leave behind. From laughter filled hallways to the quiet moments of reflection in advisory and the camaraderie of extracurricular activities, Pingree has been more than just a school for us; it has been a home. It has been a place where friendships were forged, lessons were learned, and memories were made.  As we prepare to embark on this next chapter in our lives, let’s carry with us the laughter, the lessons, and the life that has defined our time here.  Though we may part ways, the bonds we’ve formed and the memories we’ve shared will remain etched in our hearts.