Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

A Solid Start for Girls’ Varsity Hockey

The Pingree Girls’ Varsity Hockey team (PGVH) has had a steady start to their season so far. They started the season off with a scrimmage win against Hebron Academy, and they currently hold a record of 4-7-0 after two tournaments, and six regular season games. 

This season, the team is led by new head coach Carey Shugrue, and assistant coaches Jim McLaughlin, Rich LaFauci, and Michaela Kane. They are all looking to bring the intensity and hope to finish with a strong record in the Eastern Independent League (EIL) and New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC). With a challenging schedule ahead, the team continues to put in hard work in preparation for the remainder of their season.

On December 28, 2023, PGVH had four players recognized by the Salem News as leading scorers through December 28. These players included Jaselle Yepez (junior), Neely Payne (sophomore), Lucia LaFauci (senior), and Aby Amigo (junior). Freshman starting goalie Piper Davekos was also highlighted for her goals against average (3.38), saves (258), and minutes played (360).

Recently, PGVH collaborated with Pingree Boys’ Varsity Hockey team in hosting the inaugural Tom E. Smith Foundation Games. The event started with a speech from the Boys’ Varsity captains, followed by the singing of the National Anthem performed by Boston Bruins anthem singer Todd Angilly prior to the Girls’ Varsity game. PGVH defeated Kents Hill 4-2 with a hat trick from junior Aby Amigo, and the Pingree Boys’ team continued the day with a strong 6-0 win over Kents Hill with the second hat trick of the day netted by junior Marco Mottola. Throughout the day, both teams helped raise over $2,000 for the foundation, and they look forward to hosting the event again next season.

Looking toward the end of the season, the team is excited to celebrate their seniors February 9 at 5:30pm during their senior night game against Middlesex. The team’s seniors include Sadie Canelli, Avery Fredo, Lucia LaFauci, Morgan McLaughlin, Georgia Rossetti, and Ashley Smail. All have been part of the team for four years. After making the team their freshman year in the heat of COVID, these six seniors have faced many challenges and changes within the program; however their contributions and dedication will leave a lasting impact on the growth of the team. 

In addition to senior night, the team is hoping to have a loud crowd at their remaining six home games this regular season. Be sure to support your fellow Highlanders!