Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Spotlight: Green Bay Packers

After the 2nd round of the NFL playoffs, many fans are keeping an eye on the Green Bay Packers after their performance against the MVP-caliber Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys. While they may have fallen to the now Super Bowl-bound 49ers, they still exceeded low expectations coming into the season and surprised many. Their story of victory is one to be on the lookout for many years to come. 

First, Aaron Jones and the Packers’ running game was hot against the Cowboys, which was a surprise considering the Packers’ young and inexperienced offensive line. Aaron Jones scored three touchdowns and ran the ball for 118 yards, blunting the impact of the Cowboys’ dominant pass rushing. This dual threat offense gave way for 3rd-year quarterback Jordan Love to thrive. Posting a near perfect passer rating, Jordan Love played well in his limited role on Sunday’s game against Dallas. While only throwing for 16 receptions, six went for over 20 yards. In the second round, the Packers stayed neck and neck with the 49ers, and there are still many bright spots despite the unfortunate loss. The run game remained dominant, and Aaron Jones continued his streak of dominance against the formidable 49ers defense. The Packers’ defense, while facing the NFL’s Offensive Player of the Year Christian McCaffrey, played well despite their struggle in the 4th quarter. 

Even though they suffered a heartbreaking loss, Packers fans are hopeful for the years ahead. They have a young and now playoff-seasoned quarterback, a defense that could hold their own against the best team in the league, and much more in the young, hungry program. Hopefully, the Packers will take the loss to heart and come back stronger and ready next year, honed with experience.