Student News for Pingree School in South Hamilton, MA

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Who Will The Patriots Draft at No.3?

On the night of April 24th, 2024, New England’s faithful will be on the edge of their seats. This upcoming NFL draft may be the most important in the Patriot franchise’s history. With the third pick in the draft, it should be an easy choice, right? 

Not necessarily.

With new management,  Patriots nation is left unsure of their team’s next move. The departure of long-time coach and General Manager Bill Belichick signals a potential end to the “Patriot Way” philosophy. For decades, we saw the Belichick management draft players based on their potential upside and coachability instead of immediate contributions. While this worked for most of Belichick’s time in Foxborough, this philosophy is outdated in the new era of football. 

Over the last few years, many people in the football world believe that Belichick has been too focused on drafting the next Tom Brady, or essentially, an under-the-radar player who will burst onto the scene as a superstar with the right coaching and mentoring. With former super-star Jerod Mayo taking over as head coach, he must bring one to the franchise this upcoming draft.

At this point, it is clear that the Patriots will be moving on from Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe. The lackluster performances of the two quarterbacks’ have revealed the team’s need for an offensive playmaker. Experts from CBS and ESPN point toward North Carolina’s QB Drake Maye, LSU’s QB Jayden Daniels, and Ohio State’s WR Marvin Harrison Jr. The Patriots have a star-power cushion, with all three options having been a Heisman winner, finalist, or contender.

According to experts, LSU’s Heisman-winning quarterback Jayden Daniels is the clear-cut pick for No. 3 in the draft. Daniels, aged 23, is the oldest of the potential draft picks mentioned. However, he boasts great experience, performance, and accolades over other contending prospects. College football’s MVP could immediately impact New England with his diverse skill set that doesn’t rely on wide receivers. On the downside, Daniels must improve his decision-making when facing tacklers. His terrifying habit of jumping before head-on contact could result in injury when faced with the NFL’s best defensive players.

In the event of a pick-swap or change of plans within the first two selections, North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye could fall into the Patriots’ hands. Though young, Maye has shown his upside toward becoming an electrifying dual-threat quarterback. Maye’s arm strength has impressed NFL coaches throughout the season, throwing for over 3,600 yards with 24 touchdowns. When he couldn’t throw, Maye’s running ability allowed him to escape danger, frequently resulting in a positive play. The young playmaker could make an immediate impact in New England with enough time to develop out of his poor decision-making habits, common in a quarterback like Maye, who lacks big-time experience.  

Last but certainly not least, Ohio State wide receiver Marvin Harrison could bring back a true downfield threat to the Patriots, something they’ve lacked since the Brady-Moss era. Drafting Harrison would result in trading for a soon-to-be-replaced quarterback like Justin Fields of the Bears or settling for a second-round caliber quarterback. Having an elite wide receiver in Harrison could be intriguing to Coach Mayo, knowing his former Patriot teammate Randy Moss’ contributions to the team. Considering their lack of trade value, this scenario would be an early challenge for the Patriots’ new Front Office. Still, it could revive the fanbase in the event of a superstar acquisition.

This April, HC Jerod Mayo and his front-office staff must revive the unhappy Patriot fanbase with the franchise’s off-season motto: reload.